Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
Last month, we talked about Copa Airlines starting up a new frequent flyer program, called Copa ConnectMiles. Copa Airlines is a Star Alliance member based out of Panama City, with flights throughout North, Central and South America. Currently they use United’s MileagePlus program, but are in the process of starting their own program.
(SEE ALSO: Introduction to Air alliances)
At that time, you could get 1000 miles for pre-registering with Copa. Now you can get at least 3000 miles for actually signing up for your account and filling out your profile
How to get your 3000 Copa ConnectMiles
Head over to the Copa ConnectMiles site, and enroll / log in. (First found at Dans Deals)
The amount of information they ask for as “required” on their profile page seems a bit over the top (like I have my passport number memorized?!?). I put in “guesses” for some of that information. You DO need to fill out all the information that is marked as required to get the bonus miles.
If I was reading the terms correctly, I should get an additional 1000 miles once the program fully launches in July (because I “pre-registered”) but I can’t say for sure. Still, free miles are free miles. Hopefully they will introduce some good bank transfer partners to be able to top off my account.
Comparing the Copa ConnectMiles award chart using the Mile Matrix
If we look at the Mile Matrix app, we can compare the published Copa ConnectMiles award chart with the current equivalent on Copa’s Star Alliance partner: United Airlines
Generally speaking, the miles required for Saver redemptions on Copa Airlines are competitive with United’s redemption costs.
- United charges 17,500 miles to go from the US to Central America or the Caribbean – Copa will charge only15,000.
- United charges 20,000 miles from the US to Northern South America, and 30,000 to go to Southern South America. Copa’s prices are only 15,000 and 25,000 miles.
- United has no special award chart for Panama or Colombia (where Copa is headquartered), but Copa ConnectMiles has several cheaper redemptions going to/from Panama and Colombia
- Central America to Central America / Caribbean / Northern South America – 10,000 miles on United and 7500 miles on Copa.
There are only a few increases compare
- From Mexico to the Caribbean or Northern South America – 10,000 on United and 12,500 on Copa.
- From Central America to Southern South America – 10,000 on United and 20,000 on Copa.