Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Today’s Daily Getaways include 3 different packages of Hertz points, discounted as much as 78%! Details can be found here, and packages will go on sale at 1pm ET.
Three different packages are offered today. While they are billed as one-week rentals in different car collection, you are actually given Hertz Gold Rewards points. This is *far* more valuable than simply a certificate for a weekly rental since the points allow other options.
- 5,500 Hertz Gold Rewards points for $280, enough for one week standard rental; 45 packages available.
- 16,500 points for $698, enough for one-week prestige collection; 50 packages available.
- 13,200 points for $560, enough for 4-day weekend Prestige Collection; 35 packages available.
The two packages with more points obviously offer a bit better value in terms of points per dollar.
Breaking down the opportunity
Under most circumstances, buying points for one-week rental is a losing proposition. Depending where you are renting the car, often times you can find a one-week rental for about $300 or even less. However, there are some great situations where choice points package represents great savings. You can find complete Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Points Reference Guide here.
If you look closely at the redemption chart, you will find some great uses of Hertz points at the standard rewards level. For example, 5,500 Hertz points will actually get you:
- 2 weeks of standard car rental, or
- 5 two-day weekend rental; or
- 2 four-day weekend rental, plus 1 two-day weekend rental;
- One-way four-day rental
and many more! There are so many combinations that you could put your Hertz points to great use. I suggest you to take a look at your upcoming car rental needs, do some pricing research to decide if using points make sense for you, and which package would offer the best value.
- SEE: Using Autoslash to save a ton on your next rental car
- SEE: Why you’re foolish to rent a “standard” car
One last thing to consider is the cost of insurance. You won’t get the primary collision insurance perk from a premium credit card when you use points, as best I can find. Add this cost into the equation of whether buying the package makes sense.
Terms of the offer
- Before purchasing the points, you must have a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards member number. Once you complete a member profile, you’ll get a member number immediately.
- No more than one (1) set of points purchased through each offer are allowed per Hertz®member number. A maximum of three (3) sets of points is allowed per Hertz member number across all Hertz offers.
With only limited quantities available, the packages will most likely go fast. So make sure you act fast if you are interested!
Featured image courtesy of Carsten Shertzer under CC 2.0 license.
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them