Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
A few weeks ago, Delta announced a (temporary) baggage guarantee. At a glance, they would seem to offer 2500 Delta Skymiles if your baggage is not on the baggage carousel within 20 minutes of your flight arriving.
Delta baggage guarantee fine print
Seems fine, right? But then I started taking a look at the fine print for the Delta baggage guarantee. Here are a list of restritions for the Delta baggage guarantee
- Your flight must be flown between February 19th and March 31st
- You have to already be a Skymiles member
- You have to be on a Delta or Delta Connection flight – no codeshares unless the final leg is a Delta operated flight
- It has to be a paid fare – I guess no award flights? Fine print isn’t super clear on that but Delta hasn’t really given me reason to give them the benefit of the doubt, ya know? 🙂
- Oversize, overweight and special baggage is not eligible
Oh and of course Delta “reserves the right to suspend this baggage service guarantee at any time and without prior notice in the event of an airport baggage system malfunction, severe weather, or other conditions out of Delta’s control that would prevent timely baggage delivery” and “Offers and benefits are subject to change without notice.”
Reminds me of some of the hotel “Best Rate Guarantees” which in practice prove to be nearly impossible to get the hotels to honor.
I normally don’t check bags, though there was the one time that my family and I tracked 17 pieces of luggage through the airport. I haven’t had any Delta flights recently to check out the Delta baggage guarantee – anyone have any experience with it (good or bad) to report?
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them