Most deals from the United States to Southeast Asia are concentrated on West Coast cities, but today the rest of the country gets in on the savings. American Airlines and their partner airlines are offering discounted fares to Bangkok from several major airports on the East Coast and in the Midwest. In some cases, competitors are matching prices as well, providing even more options (See below).
Sale fares are widely available for early and midweek departures in the fall, with some very limited availability in the Spring on certain routes. The rainy season runs into October in Thailand, but these fares are still available as “high season” for travel begins; plus off-peak travel to Thailand generally means luxury hotels for as much as 75% off normal prices. Fares to Bangkok include:
- New York (JFK) from $508 on China Southern
- Philadelphia from $644 on Qatar Air
- Chicago from $648 on Qatar Air; China Eastern is matching these fares
- Charlotte from $726 on Etihad
- Miami from $690, uniquely on United and AA partner Cathay Pacific or United and their partner ANA
All fares include checked bag, and generally seat selection as well, though often you have to seat select after purchase. As of this past Wednesday, AA AAdvantage members are able to earn AA miles on China Southern flights, including status earning on code shares. While rumors circulated last month that AA and Etihad were ending their partnership no action has been taken by either airline; these fares will earn miles for either program. Some Qatar Airways flights include longer layovers in Doha; while it’s possible to buy access to the airline’s celebrated Al-Mourjan business class lounge, at $69 per person it’s up to you whether it’s worth it.
- Departure: JFK
- Stops: CAN
- Arrival: BKK
How to Book
- Follow link for sample dates or search your favorite OTA / Google Flights for departure and destination
- Select dates September through November, 2019; limited dates April – May, 2019
- 7-Day stay required
Where to Stay in Bangkok
(SEE ALSO: 10 great picks among 56 more SLH hotels bookable with Hyatt points!)
Things to Do in Bangkok
- Temple of the Reclining Buddha in Bangkok
- Monkey Hill in Phuket
- Soi Dog Foundation in Phuket
- Jim Thompson House on Bangkok
Good luck and happy flying!
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them