After a quick flight in EgyptAir Regional Business Class, we landed in Abu Dhabi. Originally we had planned on entering the country and doing a tour in the desert, but when our flights changed, we now only had about 6 hours in Abu Dhabi. Technically, we probably still had time to maybe see one or two things in Abu Dhabi, but we decided to instead spend our time at the Etihad Abu Dhabi Terminal 3 Airport Lounge. Before too long, we were ready to board our next flight, in Etihad Business Class on the Boeing 787-900 Dreamliner. This Etihad Dreamliner Business Class review will go through the seat, amenities, food and other experiences on our flight.
For more articles from this trip, see the table of contents at the bottom of this post.
Etihad Dreamliner Business Class Review AUH-NRT Details
- Airline: Etihad
- Aircraft: Boeing 787-900 (B789) / Dreamliner
- Cabin: Business, 1-2-1 configuration
- Origin: Abu Dhabi (AUH)
- Destination: Tokyo Narita (NRT)
- Distance: 5,025 miles
- Departure Time: 10:08 p.m.
- Arrival Time: 1:07 p.m. +1 day (+6 hour time difference)
- Flight date: April 8, 2023
- Seat: 7E (left middle in the 1-2-1 configuration)
Etihad Abu Dhabi Lounge Access and Boarding Process
As I mentioned earlier, we opted to just follow the transiting process and stay at the Etihad Abu Dhabi Terminal 3 Airport Lounge during our layover. Etihad Business Class passengers have access to the Etihad flagship lounge location, and it is an excellent way to pass a few hours in the airport.
When it was time to board our flight, we made our way through the terminal to Gate 59, where Etihad agents were checking passports as well as COVID vaccine cards (vaccination or a negative PCR test is required to enter Japan at this time).
After a short wait, they announced boarding for business class and we made our way on to the Boeing 787-900 Dreamliner plane.
Etihad Dreamliner Business Class Seats
I had selected seats 7E and 7F for us, which are the 2 middle seats in a 1-2-1 Etihad Dreamliner Business Class configuration.
The seats have a full divider that you can raise if you’re traveling by yourself, but we kept it down for the majority of the flight (other than when we were sleeping)
Here is a detailed look at seat 7E, along with the pillow and plush blanket that were at our seat.
The seat had both regular AC power outlets and a USB power outlet, as well as controls at the seat and a remote control to manage the TV.
The seats have a variety of different modes and positions, and go fully flat. The fully-flat configuration was quite comfortable, and I was able to get about 4 hours of solid sleep on the flight, which was more than I was able to do on my last flight. My son slept even longer, to the point that I had to wake him up when we were about to land, to make sure that he had time to have breakfast.
Etihad Boeing 787-900 Dreamliner Business Class Entertainment
There is a large screen at your seat showing a variety of different entertainment from E-Box.
I found the selection on this Etihad Business class flight to be significantly more robust than on my EgyptAir Business Class flight from Washington to Cairo.
Etihad Dreamliner Business Class Review – Amenities
At our seat was an amenity kit from Acqua Di Parma
It had a standard array of toiletries as well as a sleep mask, face covering and socks.
Etihad does offer a variety of paid wifi plans, starting at $1.99 for 20MB, but by the time I had dinner, slept and ate again, we were nearly to Tokyo, so I opted not to pay for any of the plans.
Etihad Boeing 787-900 Dreamliner Business Class Menu
Before I get to a review of the food on my Etihad Dreamliner Business Class flight, here are shots of the menu that was presented onboard.
There was also an insert listing the different alcoholic beverages available. I don’t drink alcohol, so this is not super exciting for me personally, but I know that many people look for the alcohol selection when selecting a business class flight.
Etihad Dreamliner Business Class AUH-NRT Food
We were offered a choice of champagne, tea or orange juice for a predeparture beverage as we were boarding. I chose the orange juice.
Next came the appetizers – I had the smoked salmon tartar while my son opted for the Arabic mezze
Next came the main course, where we both opted for the pasta. I kid you not that this pasta was the best food I have ever had on an airplane and up there with the best meals that I have ever eaten anywhere ever.
Dessert was next – my son had the ice cream and I had the mango brioche pudding. We both asked for some of the “available all day” cookies with dessert as well.
After getting a solid few hours of sleep, when I woke up, the flight attendant immediately asked if I would like breakfast, since it was only about 90 minutes to landing. I had the cheese omelette as well as an additional cheese plate.
The Etihad Dreamliner Business Class food was outstanding, capped by the amazing pasta dish.
- Booking a (nearly) round the world Aeroplan award for 2023
- Fixing an Air Canada Aeroplan Booking (that included time travel)
- How to get from IAD to DCA (or downtown Washington DC) UPDATED with Silver Line
- How to get tickets to the Washington Monument
- Hyatt Place Herndon/Dulles Airport-East Hotel Review
- United Polaris Lounge IAD Review
- Turkish Airlines IAD Lounge Review
- EgyptAir Business Class 787-9 Dreamliner Review IAD-CAI
- One Day in Cairo Egypt
- Staybridge Suites Cairo - Citystars Review
- Wow - everything is SO cheap in Egypt!
- EgyptAir Alioth Cairo / CAI Airport Lounge Review
- EgyptAir Regional Business Class Review CAI-AUH
- AUH Etihad Business Class Lounge Review Abu Dhabi
- Etihad Business Class Review AUH-NRT
- Comfort Hotel Tokyo Kiyosumi Shirakawa Review
- Tokyo Street Karting Review (Mario Kart Tokyo)
- I'll admit it... I don't understand the Tokyo Subway system
- Tokyo to Osaka Shinkansen Bullet Train Review
- Osaka Hotel Universal Port Vita Review (Universal Studios Japan)
- Universal Studios Japan / Super Nintendo World Review
- Tokyo Narita Terminal 1 ANA Lounge Review (NRT)
- Air Canada Business Class 787-9 Dreamliner Review NRT-YYZ
- Outrageous Air Canada compensation
- How a Volcano Made Me Sprint Through The Airport
- (Literally) The Longest Day Of My Life
- What Is Going On With Uber?
The Bottom Line – Etihad Dreamliner Business Class Review AUH-NRT
My Etihad Dreamliner Business Class review is that it was an outstanding flight, with a comfortable lie-flat seat and amazing food. If you have the chance to fly Etihad Business Class on the Dreamliner / Boeing 787-900, I highly recommend it.
Have you flown Etihad Business Class on the Boeing 787-900 Dreamliner? Leave your thoughts in the comments below
Join the PWaC newsletter filled with credit card and travel tips
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
The best Business class flight I took was on Etihad on an A380 from New York to Abu Dhabi. Better than Qatar.