Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
I don’t write about all the travel and travel-related topics that come across my desk (email inbox). You would not believe the number of emails I get wanting me to write about things or wanting to do guest posts on the site or but occasionally I see one that is unique I think might be interesting to some of my readers.
Since most of us that travel internationally have run into situations where we wish we knew the language and didn’t have to get by on hand signals or hoping the local speaks English.
I lived for 2 years in the Dominican Republic as a Mormon missionary so I am (sort of) fluent in Spanish, though that of course didn’t help me when my son and I went to Sweden a few weeks ago! So when I got an email talking about a travel and language learning app that is the #1 most funded app in the history of Kickstarter, I was intrigued.
My first thought was wanting a source on the claim of “#1 most funded” but you can check it out yourself at Kickstarter. There are other Kickstarters that have been funded more but no other mobile apps.
Fluent Forever book to learn languages
Fluent Forever: How to Learn Any Language Fast and Never Forget It is a book that has been out for a few years and aims to teach anyone any language quickly and in a way that you won’t forget it. It has pretty good reviews at Amazon – 73% are 5 stars and 13% 4 stars compared to only 4% as 1 star.
One of the talking points on the book description page that resonated with me was
The greatest challenge to learning a foreign language is the challenge of memory; there are just too many words and too many rules. For every new word we learn, we seem to forget two old ones, and as a result, fluency can seem out of reach.
Fluent Forever language app
The Fluent Forever app is designed to automate the method described in the book, so that it works faster and doesn’t have a steep learning curve.
- The method is pretty different from other language learning tools out there.
- The content is different: It starts with pronunciation and ear training, and after that, it teaches the rest of the language without translation.
- And the way you learn that content is different too: You choose words and phrases and images to learn, and the app takes your choices and designs a customized flashcard routine for you to learn them.
- The crowdfunding campaign for Fluent Forever has become the most successful Kickstarter for an app in history.
You can fund the kickstarter in a few different ways –
- $5 gets you on the early backers list but no actual product
- $25 gets you on the early backers list and a copy of the Fluent Forever audiobook
- $40 – Early intermediate speaker – enough app usage to hold basic conversations and discounts on app subscriptions
- $75 – Fluent in a Level 1 language – enough app usage to be fluent in a Romance language
- $120 – Fluent in a Level 2 language – enough app usage to be fluent in a Level 2 language
- $240 – Polyglot Pack – Enough app usage to reach fluency in a top difficulty language (Chinese, Japanese, Arabic), two medium difficulty languages, or four closely related languages
- $240 – Fluent in any language – lifetime subscription to one language
- $800 – Hyperglot – Lifetime full subscription to the app
- $1400 – Double Hyperglot – 2x Lifetime full subscription to the app
Over $400,000 has been pledged as of this post (out of only a $250,000 goal) – pledges are currently scheduled to end on October 18th. I may receive a commission if you pledge through the links in this post.
What do you think about Fluent Forever? Have you used the book? Are you interested in pledging to the Fluent Forever app on Kickstarter? Leave your experiences in the comments
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them