Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
This Saturday, American Express is offering what they call “Small Business Saturday”
I’ve written a few posts already about how you can link up any American Express cards that you have to earn 3 different $10 statement credits by shopping at qualified small businesses. If you need more information about what you need to do to take advantage of things
I thought I would share my plans for how I plan to approach things. I’d love to hear your plans and let me know if you think I’m missing something or have any changes you might suggest:
My American Express cards
Between Carolyn and I, we have 6 eligible American Express cards.
- American Express Every Day Preferred card (this was the one that I first saw the American Express refer a friend offer on, though it doesn’t seem to be working now)
- 2 Delta Gold cards (I was going to cancel mine but left it open specifically for Small Business Saturday)
- Hilton HHonors card
I registered all 6 of them on American Express’s Small Business Saturday website and now it’s time to plan on where to use them.
The Small Businesses
The Small Business Saturday website map isn’t the greatest, but it is a little useful in determining what counts as a small business and what doesn’t (sometimes it’s not as obvious as you might think)
Here is the plan I came up with for my 18 statement credits – all gift cards unless otherwise specified:
- 7 at the Kenwood Theater, a local first-run movie theater. This will allow us to go out together as a family to see a matinee, with enough left over for Carolyn and I to have a separate date
- 1 at El Rancho Grande, which I’ll do as a $30 gift card purchase. This will satisfy my signup bonus for the American AAdvantage dining program, earning me an additional 2000 miles.
- 2 at Busken Bakery – mmmm donuts
- 2 at Graeter’s Ice Cream – mmmm more donuts! (and the ice cream is amazing also!)
- 3 at Currito’s, which is a burrito place similar to Chipotle
- 3 at Ferrari’s Little Italy, a local Italian restaurant.
What do you think? What are your plans? Leave us a note in the comments