Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
We’ve written about this deal before but it appears to be back! It appears to be targeted but if so, it seems widely targeted.
Get 20% off when you use American Express Membership Rewards points – maximum discount $50.
We looked into it some more and tried getting an Amazon gift card itself, but the deal wouldn’t work with an Amazon gift card. I was not targeted this time but in the past, I have tried it with other gift cards such as Lowe’s, Cheesecake Factory, and Uber. Here’s the catch, not all Amex Membership Rewards Account are targeted. I’ll share with you how you can check if you were targeted.
Terms of the offer
Selected terms of this offer include:
- This is a limited offer. The promotion will end on the earlier of (a) 11:59 PT on 07/16/2019, or (b) the time at which offers worth $5,000,000 have been redeemed.
- The promotion code will expire concurrently. Amazon.com reserves the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time.
- Offer is available by invitation only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
- Offer applies only to the purchase where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is applied at checkout.
- Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com (Look for “sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC” on the product detail page. Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Limit one promotion code per Membership Rewards eligible card.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- Shipping charges may apply to discounted promotional items.
- Offer does not apply to purchase of digital content.
- If any of the products related to your original order are returned, subject to Amazon’s refund policy, you will receive a refund of the amount charged to your card first, followed by Membership Rewards points.
- Promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
- This promotion is available only to Amazon.com customers with an eligible Membership Rewards points card issued in United States.
- Promotional credit is applied before taxes and fees.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
Step by Step Guide
To take advantage of this offer, follow these steps:
- Add your Membership Rewards earning American Express card to your Amazon payment method.
- Then activate the offer
- Add items sold by Amazon LLC to cart
- Check out and apply a minimum of one Membership Rewards points (worth $0.01).
- You should see 20% off your total purchase.
What to buy at Amazon
Of course the best thing to buy is something that you were already planning on buying! After all 20% of something you don’t need is a waste of 80% of your money 🙂
If you don’t have anything to buy, you could consider getting gift cards. Amazon gift cards typically don’t work but last time I did this, physical gift cards did work if they were sold by Amazon.com. If you’re a reseller, there are a few brands (Safeway, Lowe’s, etc) that would be profitable or you might get gift cards to a store that you use often.
You can also check out some of the Amazon daily deals or our Amazon Prime Day recap for early access Prime Day deals.
Were you targeted with this offer? What did you end up buying?