Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
I do not like commercials, and I skip or mute them every time they come on (which isn’t that often because I pretty much only watch TV for football games). But the series of Progressive Insurance commercials talking about people turning into their parents slays me. I will actually unmute them if I see them because they’re that funny.
I probably find them so amusing because I am basically turning into my parents. :-). I saw a new one the other day about traveling in an airport that made me chuckle again.
“Old Man” Airport Behaviors, According to Progressive
And of course by “old man,” I mean “turning into your parents” behaviors. Here are the ones mentioned in the commercial:
- Printing out paper tickets – I have definitely done this in the past, including printing out complete itineraries. Nowadays I definitely just keep my boarding pass on my phone, which I think works fine. One place where I do think printing out itineraries can help is for hotels / addresses in foreign countries. That can make it easier for taxis or other people to help get you where you need to go.
- Pointing out landmarks from the plane – Okay – definitely guilty of that. I’ve always been fascinated with aerial views of things. Though I will say that I don’t normally actually POINT those out to other people. I used to be a window seat guy (to check out the view) but now I am Team Aisle.
- Packing tons of snacks from home for the flight – I don’t do this one, but sometimes I have been known to take a few extra snacks from an airport lounge “for later”
- Asking the gate agents when boarding is – I don’t normally do this since I am typically in a lounge and just stop by the gate when it’s time to board.
- Getting to the airport 3+ hours early – Well here’s another one where they get me. I have gotten a bit better at this from the time when I decided I was wasting DAYS of my life in airports, but I definitely like having extra time. And since I work remotely and can work from anywhere, I don’t see a lot of downside to getting to the airport with plenty of time.
- Making up plane facts – This one isn’t me – I know many people in the miles and points space are av-geeks, but i don’t think I could even tell a 737 from an A380. (Okay, I could probably do that at least!)
Other “Turning Into Your Parents” Airport Behaviors
A couple of other “turning into your parents” airport behaviors that I thought of:
- Clapping when the airplane lands – please don’t do this.
- Excessive conversation with random seatmates – I might say hello and a few things to a seatmate but I mostly either read or work on my computer depending on how long the flight is.
Anyways I thought this commercial was hilarious and wanted to share. Stay “cool” out there in the airport.
What about you? Do you do any of these “parents” airport behaviors? Any others?
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them