Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
Last week we saw one of the better deals we’ve seen in awhile, where you could save 20% off of (almost) ALL Amazon purchases if you linked a Membership Rewards card to your Amazon account and paid at least 1 Membership Reward on a purchase. Note that you only have to pay 1 MR point ($0.01) and you shouldn’t pay any more than that because they’re redeemed on Amazon at a really bad value.
Now several blogs (DoC, and Miles to Memories among others) are reporting that there is now another way to get 20% off, potentially even if you’ve done it before. Just make sure to add promo code AMEXSWP20PD after you’ve linked your card and paid with 1 point
Tips and troubleshooting
Make sure you activate the offer here. If you’re still having trouble connecting, another thing you’ll want to try is to remove all of your cards in your Amazon account except for one American Express card. And of course, make sure that you’re applying at least $0.01 in Membership Rewards to your purchase!
There are some reports of this offer only working for Amazon Prime members, so YMMV if you’re not.
Taking 20% off the ORIGINAL price?!?
Regular price $249, Prime Day price is $174. The 20% off is coming off of the $249 ($49.80) instead of the $174 (which would be only $34.80). So your final price is $174 – $49.80 or $124.20, which ends up being about 50% off.
You’ll want to look for Prime Day deals that have a high original price up to a maximum of $500. Check out our list of Amazon Prime Day 2018 deals or here are a few of them
- Sale on Chromebooks as low as $118
- 7 in 1 Instant Pot / Rice cooker regularly $99.95 now $58.99
- Oculus Rift VR system for $399
- Up to 70% off Samsonite luggage (h/t Running With Miles)
- Echo Dot, regularly $49.99 now $29.99
- Echo Fire, regularly $149.99 now $99.99 – also stacks with $40 off Fire tablets if you pay with at least 1 ThankYou point.
- Blink XT Home Security Camera System – regularly $129.99 now $75
- Save up to 80% on Dash buttons (now $0.99)
- Roomba iRobot regularly $349.99 now $229.99
- Amazon Cloud Cam Security Camera – regularly $119.99 now $59.99
- Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote – regularly $39.99 now $19.99
- Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD for 50% off now $34.99
What to buy with 20% off
Well the real answer for what to buy with 20% off is anything that you want :-).
Gift cards are always a good option – there are mixed reports of people being able to buy $400 in Amazon gift cards for $100 off as long as they included at least $100 in either 3rd party gift cards or other merchandise sold by Amazon.com. If you’re looking for travel gift cards, Southwest Airlines, AirBnB and Hotels.com are options. Lowe’s and Safeway gift cards are also fairly popular
You can check the main Amazon Prime Day page or our list of Amazon Prime Day 2018 deals – remember that since the 20% is sometimes taking off of the ORIGINAL price, you can actually get more than 20% off the sale price. So that may be a better deal – whatever works for you