Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Southwest’s fare sale in celebration of 50 years in business ends tonight (Feb. 28). The $50 fare sale has been going on for a few weeks now, and today is your last chance to take advantage.
Southwest has offered more frequent sales than other airlines over the past few months and has even allowed customers to change all flights for free even if there is a cost difference between flights. While cancellation policies for most airlines have become more flexible given the current uncertainty, with Rapid Rewards points, Southwest flights are always cancellable.
Deals are available through the Southwest website and are advertised as low as $50 each way. Given the flexibility that Southwest offers from a cancellation or flight change perspective, it makes sense to book a trip to take advantage of the low prices. If things don’t improve from a travel standpoint, or your plans change, it will be easy to cancel.
If you don’t have Southwest points, you can still bank a travel credit for a future trip. As a reminder, if Southwest hosts a sale, make sure you check any existing flights you have already purchased. Southwest has no change fees, and if the sale price is lower, you will receive a credit for the difference usable for future Southwest fares. Also, if you change your mind after you buy one of these flights, remember that any fare marketed in the U.S. is free to cancel within 24 hours.
This sale ends February 28 at 11:59 PM Central Time, so make sure to jump on this deal soon before the window closes!
Traveling on Southwest During Coronavirus
Southwest stepped up its COVID-19 response several months ago. The process, which was branded as the “Southwest Promise,” includes enhanced cleaning with electrostatic disinfectant spray, mandatory face coverings for flyers and employees and enhanced social distancing protocols. Bear in mind, the middle seats on all flights were closed for a while but are now open again. For more details, visit the dedicated landing page here.
How to Book
- Visit the Southwest website to search for sample dates and destinations.
- Purchase by February 28, 2021, 11:59 PM Central Time.
- Continental U.S. travel valid March 2, 2021 through May 26, 2021.
- Continental U.S. to/from Hawaii travel valid March 2, 2021 through May 20, 2021.
- San Juan, Puerto Rico travel valid March 2, 2021 through May 20, 2021.
- International travel valid March 2, 2021 through May 20, 2021.
- Travel from continental U.S. to Hawaii blacked out March 19-20, March 26-28, and April 1-3, 2021. Travel to continental U.S. from Hawaii blacked out March 27-28, April 2-5, and April 9-11, 2021.
- 21-day advance purchase is required
- Points bookings do not include government fees from $5.60 per one-way flight.
- International flights may have additional taxes and fees.
- Be sure to read all other terms and conditions on the Southwest site.
Where you able to find a flight to book? Did you get a refund on a previously purchased Southwest flight? Let us know in the comments below!
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them