Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Right now there’s an excellent sale from most large US airports to Spain both for spring and summer. I found prices below $350 in summer, which is just incredible even in basic economy. The deals are from United Airlines and her Star Alliance partners, and American Oneworld alliance. In some cases Norwegian Airlines is available as well.
Late winter/spring deals (Feb – May) to Barcelona:
- Boston: $232 (Iberia/American)
- New York (JFK): $286 (TAP Portugal/United, TAP + Norwegian)
- Chicago: $322 (TAP/UA), April only
- Los Angeles: $335 (Iberia/AA)
- San Francisco: $343 (United)
- Miami: $357 (TAP/UA)
Spring deals to Madrid:
- New York (JFK): $271 (TAP/UA)
- Boston: $337 (UA + Swiss – may have long layover in Switzerland)
- Los Angeles: $393 (Iberia/AA)
- Miami: $449 (Iberia/AA)
- Chicago: $452 (Iberia)
As good as those prices are, finding similar prices for summer travel is phenomenal. Prices for mid-August and select July dates.
- New York (EWR): $317 (United + Swiss, may have long layover in Switzerland)
- San Francisco: $342 (UA/Lufthansa)
- Los Angeles: $343 (UA)
- Boston: $353 (TAP/UA and Iberia/AA)
- Chicago: $385 (Iberia/AA)
- Miami: $387 (Iberia/AA)
Summer to Madrid:
- New York (EWR): $322 (UA)
- Boston: $342 (UA)
- Los Angeles: $408
- Chicago: $472 (Iberia + TAP separate tickets)
Many of these deals are available with Chase Ultimate Rewards. If you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, you can use UR points at 1.5 cents each in the Chase travel portal, making these a potentially solid use of points to fly a family to Europe. How’s 4 round trip main cabin tickets in high summer to Barcelona for 134K UR sound?
These are basic economy fares, meaning carry-on and meals are included but not seat choice generally (Norwegian doesn’t include meals). Unlike fares to Asia, you’ll have to buy up to main cabin for seat selection and checked bags, but that’s only running about $120-$160 round trip. So even with the extra charge, prices are still very good. While prices are widespread I don’t know how long these deals will last. So if you’re looking for spring break or a summer trip to Spain act fast.
How to Book
- Follow link for sample dates or search your favorite OTA / Google Flights for departure and destination
- Winter spring: Feb – May
- Summer: Mid-August, with select July dates
Where to Stay in Madrid or Barcelona
- Courtyard Madrid Princesa
- Holiday Inn Express Madrid – Leganes
- DoubleTree by Hilton Madrid-Prado
- Hotel Laumon in Barcelona
- Barcelona’s Hotel 1898
Things to Do in Madrid or Barcelona
- Royal Palace of Madrid
- Madrid’s Prado National Museum
- Basilica of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona
- Palau de la Musica Orfeo Catala in Barcelona
Good luck and happy flying!
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them