Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
Like Southwest yesterday, Virgin American is getting in on the fare sale action with a sale of their own–but is it any good? Let’s take a look! You can also see all of the promotion details here.
Let’s get the boring stuff out of the way first:
- Main Cabin Tickets must be purchased by 11:59 pm CT on Monday, February 13, 2017
- Fares are one-way and require a 21-day advance purchase where travel must occur between February 28, 2017 and March 21, 2017. Fares for Hawaii require a 14-day advance purchase and fares are valid for travel between February 21, 2017 and April 17, 2017
- Lowest sale fares are available only on certain itineraries
- Lowest sale fares are only valid for travel on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Lowest sale fares for Hawaii are only valid Monday through Thursday
- Seats are limited, subject to availability, and may not be available on all flights. Flights may not operate daily. Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable
- More details here
It looks like the only cheap seats are available on LAS-LAX, for the introductory price of $59. Compared to the Southwest sale mentioned above, that’s $5 cheaper than the Southwest LAS-LAX route. $5 is chump change, but when you factor in free bags (if you need them), Southwest really has this one locked down. That being said, if you’re going bagless, it really comes down to personal preference.
Other cheap seats include:
- PDX-SFO, $69
- SEA-SFO, $79
- LAX-SEA, $89
- LAX-SFO, $89
What about eleVAte points?
Because the value of eleVAte points are tied to the cost of the ticket, you can also get cheap point redemptions. Case in point, LAS-LAX on March 14th:
The $59 LAS-LAX flight only costs 2,149 points. Pretty good!
That’s also WAY better than using 12,500 Alaska points to pay for the same exact flight!
There are some great deals to be had in this sale, especially if you’ve been waiting to book a trip to one of Virgin America’s hubs. Just remember to use eleVAte points, rather than Alaska miles, if you’re going to make a points redemption!
Header image courtesy of Bill Larkins.