Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
I’ve talked about this several times before, but it really just needs to be said again – kids do NOT care about “high-class” amenities such as you find in a 5-star hotel. I mean, maybe your kids are different than mine, but when we stay at a hotel, this is how it goes
- Complain about having to help carry in the luggage from the car into the room
- Excitement about their being cable TV in the room (we don’t have cable at our house)
- Some subset of kids wants to go “exploring” the hotel
- Then everyone wants to go swimming
- In the morning, everyone is excited by breakfast
Does that sound about right?
Well all of those things are better (or at least just as good) at your Best Western or Holiday Inn Express hotels when compared to somewhere like the Park Hyatt Vendome or an overwater bungalow.
- Well, I guess at a fancy hotel they might be excited about having a bellhop carry the bags in from the car, but then again, they’re not the ones that have to TIP em 🙂
- TV is probably the same anywhere
- Heaven forbid the kids try “exploring” at a fancy hotel – I find that guests at a 5-star resort are much less forgiving of loud kid noise (maybe they’ll call us monsters?)
- Swimming pools are about the same
- Breakfast at a 5-star hotel? Oh that’s an additional $15 / person!
So that’s why I’m not paying top dollar (or points!) for a 5-star hotel when our family travels – what about some of the rest of you that travel with kids?
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
My kids used to be ok with the regular hotel rooms but after we got Hyatt diamond status early this summer, they want a Regency Club at every hotel. They now expect smoked salmon at every breakfast!
That is hilarious