It’s March “Mayhem” (hey I don’t want to get sued, ya know)! Since this is one of my favorite times of the year, I thought I’d celebrate by running a bracket competition so we can determine the best miles and points tool out there.
- Thursday March 17th – #1 Award Wallet vs. #16 Boingo Wifi and #6 Rome2Rio vs. #11 Check My Trip
- Friday March 18th – #8 FlyerMiler vs. #9 Seatguru and #2 Autoslash vs. #15 Osmand
- Saturday March 19th – #3 Google Flights / ITA Matrix vs. #14 Cashback Monitor and #5 Award Mapper vs. #12 Expert Flyer
- Sunday March 20th – #7 Hotel Hustle vs. #10 Flight Aware and #4 Airline Route Mapper vs. #13 The Flight Deal
That left us with the following bracket – down to the final 8 tools! Now it’s time for the quarterfinals!
Here’s our schedule for the quarterfinals
- Thursday, March 24th – #12 Expert Flyer vs. #13 The Flight Deal
- Friday, March 25th – #3 Google Flights / ITA Matrix vs. #6 Rome2Rio
- Saturday, March 26th – #1 Award Wallet vs. #9 Seatguru
- Sunday, March 27th – #2 Autoslash vs. #10 Flight Aware
Each game is still open for voting! Next Tuesday (the 29th) we will close voting in all 4 contests and announce the final 4 tools.
Travel Hacking March Mayhem Quarterfinal #3: #1 Award Wallet vs. #9 Seatguru
Our third quarterfinal features the #1 overall seed along with a nominal underdog that won big. #1 Award Wallet deafeated #16 Boingo Wifi with 83% of the vote, and #9 Seatguru smashed #8 Flyermiler by a 77% to 23% score
Award Wallet is a tool designed to keep track of your different miles and points balances. You can enter in your balances in hundreds of different programs and Award Wallet will track your balance as well as expiration dates (this is limited in the free version). I’ve also used Award Wallet just to keep track of my different usernames / frequent flyer numbers, as well as I’ve used Award Wallet to keep track of my different travel plans. Here is my review of Award Wallet
I often use Seatguru when booking a first or business class flight. When you need to know what type of plane is flown on a given route, or whether the plane will have lie-flat seats, Seatguru is my go-to app. It can give you the seat configuration for a given plane as well as what types of seat it will have. While equipment changes can and do happen, Seatguru can be a great resource. Seatguru also has a feature that lets users review specific seats which I don’t use as often
So which will it be? #1 Award Wallet or #9 Seatguru? Vote below!