I know you guys are probably sick of reading about hotel status matching by now. Still, I will continue to report on events as they occur. Here’s a basic timeline, in case you’ve been living under a rock for the past few weeks
- Marriott buys Starwood (see also this quote from the Marriott CEO – “Devaluing points or member benefits is NOT the way to preserve and strengthen these programs”)
- Trying to capitalize on possible angry Starwood elites, Hyatt opens up a status match, giving their top-tier Diamond status to just about anyone that has any status with any chain whatsoever. I start planning the 7 places I want to go with new Hyatt Diamond status
- The Internet explodes as the entire world tries to match to Hyatt Diamond
- By the time I respond, Hyatt has apparently changed the rules and is only matching SPG Platinums to Hyatt Diamond, giving Hyatt Platinum to anyone else. I only receive an offer for Hyatt Platinum, which I decline (because I’m worried about it limiting me from future Hyatt status matches / challenges)
- Hilton gets in on the act, announcing on Flyertalk that they TOO are offering status matches
I had not heard anything back from Hilton, and yesterday I asked if anyone had gotten their Hilton matches yet, and we got a few responses in the comments. Then, this evening, I finally heard back from Hilton!
Thank you for your inquiry regarding status match. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.
Congratulations! Your HHonors account has been upgraded to Diamond status. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of your new card.
Sweet! I think I’m most excited to be able to play this Youtube video more, for when I travel with 10 people, a dog, a giraffe and a former American Idol that needs a helicopter attached to the room.
Now do you think I can parlay this Hilton Diamond status into HYATT Diamond status?!?!? 🙂
Because interestingly, right after I got the email from Hilton, I got ANOTHER email from Hyatt
Thank you for your interest in Hyatt Gold Passport. We have received your recently submitted request for membership and review of your tier status, and will get back to you within the next 14 business days.
We appreciate your patience during this time and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause.
even though they already offered me a match to Hyatt Platinum.
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Some or all of the card offers that appear on the website are from advertisers and that compensation may impact on how and where card products appear on the site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners and I do not include all card companies, or all available card offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers and other offers and benefits listed on this page. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
User Generated Content Disclosure: Points With a Crew encourages constructive discussions, comments, and questions. Responses are not provided by or commissioned by any bank advertisers. These responses have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the responsibility of the bank advertiser to respond to comments.