I just received an email from American Airlines (subject line: Free Platinum Status for you), and they want to offer me free Platinum status!
American AAdvantage Platinum benefits
- Complimentary upgrades on flights 500 miles or less within North America (confirmed as early as 48 hours before departure)
- Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
- 8 award miles/U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
- Complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra and Preferred seats
- 2 free checked bags
- oneworld® Sapphire℠ status on partner airlines
Terms of the exclusive offer
- This is an exclusive offer only for members who received a message directly from American Airlines.
- You must register by 11:59 p.m. CT June 11, 2018, and prior to travel in order for your Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to count toward this promotion
Extend Platinum status through 2020
The email offer I got also included an option to extend your free AA Platinum status through 2020 by earning 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and $1,500 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) on American or other eligible airlines for travel between the date you register and September 7, 2018
Terms and conditions of the extend offer
- AAdvantage Platinum status received through this offer is valid through January 31, 2020.
- After you reach the required thresholds, your elite status membership benefits will be immediately extended through January 31, 2020, and you’ll receive new membership credentials within 4 to 6 weeks.
- Qualification is based on EQMs and EQDs earned on eligible, purchased, published fare tickets flown between the date you register and September 7, 2018.
- Qualifying, eligible flights must be operated by American Airlines or marketed by American Airlines, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, or Japan Airlines.
- Travel completed prior to registration will not count toward this promotion.
- You must requalify for AAdvantage elite status membership annually
Sharon received a similar offer in June of last year and decided not to participate. There also was a similar offer for Platinum PRO status (one level up) earlier this year.
I am a little surprised by this new offer, as I have no upcoming travel with AA (maybe they want to “get” me) 🙂 I’m generally not a status guy ( preferring to #BeYourOwnElite) but I’ll have to take a look to see if this would fit in with any of my upcoming travel plans
Did you receive a similar offer for free American AAdvantage status?
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
Just got and accepted an offer today for Platinum Pro. Mine did not have an extension offer as part of it, so it looks like my PP status will expire on 9/7/18. Timing was great, as we will be traveling internationally in July. My first elite airline status!
Anyone know if I can qualify for an extension if not mentioned in the body of the email?
You might check with the link that’s in the email. My email didn’t say anything about it but when I clicked through to the AA site it was there
I got one earlier in the year and other than earlier boarding and choosing a better economy seat, I saw no other benefits since I was using points for our flights. I considered a mileage run, but it was cheaper to just pay for upgrading seats if I needed to.
Elite status level EQMs needed EQDs needed
Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $1,000
Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $2,000
Platinum Pro 75,000 20,000 $9,000 $3,000
Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $12,000 $4,000
This is what I received. Currently, I am a Nothing. I’m assuming it is not worth it?
I was offered Platinum Pro. I haven’t flown American in almost two years. However, I did sign-up with Sprint when they were giving 30k to open a new account and to my surprise, I also get an additional 400 miles a month.
“To extend your elite benefits through January 31, 2020, earn 20,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and $2,400 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) on American or other eligible airlines for travel between the date you register and September 7, 2018.**”
I’m going to take advantage and try to go for status too since its much less to qualify than usual.
I also signed up with Sprint on that deal
I got offered platinum pro. So happy.