Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
What I find so interesting about earning points and signing up for credit cards is that it’s rare for two people have the exact same goal. Much of that comes down to location, but a big part comes from individual interests. That got me thinking, what cards am I carrying, and why? What goals am I working towards? Without further ado, here’s what’s in my wallet.
What’s in my wallet?
- American Express EveryDay – I’ve been using this card more and more as I try to build up my Membership Rewards balance. I generally try to use this card just 20 times a month to get the additional 20% in points.
- Amtrak Guest Rewards World – This card has a spot in my wallet this month because I’ll be taking a few trips on Amtrak, and the cafe car codes as an Amtrak purchase, which means I get three points per dollar. This card is also my go-to once I make 20 purchases on my American Express EveryDay.
- Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select – I got this card during the “no 24-month language” bonanza, and I’m still working on meeting the minimum spend on this card, so it’s my daily driver when I’m not using my American Express EveryDay. Once I meet the minimum spend, this card is going in the sock drawer!
- Hilton Honors Surpass by American Express – My wedding is coming up in just over three months (!!!) and the caterer is both a restaurant and an event planning company, which means that ~85% of my wedding expenses code as restaurant. Some might disagree with me for using this card, but points earned here will go a long way in paying for hotels on my honeymoon!
What are the goals?
As I said above, I’m getting married and trying to plan my honeymoon. I’ve got a few trips in mind:
- Europe – London, Amsterdam, and Meissen (my SO is a ceramics buff, hence the trip to Meissen)
- Hawaii – O’ahu and Kaua’i
- Japan – TBD
These trips can be accomplished with a lot of the points I’m accumulating. For instance, we can fly roundtrip to Europe in business sAAver for 230,000 points and use Honors points for hotels. People often complain about the lack of AA sAAver awards, but I’ve seen them for all the trips I’ve tentatively priced out.
We also travel to see our families quite frequently, so using the Amtrak card for everyday spend gets us closer to free train travel.
Like I said, it’s always really interesting to see what others are carrying and why! Disagree with me? Have a better recommendation? Let me know below–maybe I can be persuaded to switch a card in!
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them