Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
I’ve talked about this several times before, but it really just needs to be said again – kids do NOT care about “high-class” amenities such as you find in a 5-star hotel. I mean, maybe your kids are different than mine, but when we stay at a hotel, this is how it goes
- Complain about having to help carry in the luggage from the car into the room
- Excitement about their being cable TV in the room (we don’t have cable at our house)
- Some subset of kids wants to go “exploring” the hotel
- Then everyone wants to go swimming
- In the morning, everyone is excited by breakfast
Does that sound about right?
- Well, I guess at a fancy hotel they might be excited about having a bellhop carry the bags in from the car, but then again, they’re not the ones that have to TIP em 🙂
- TV is probably the same anywhere
- Heaven forbid the kids try “exploring” at a fancy hotel – I find that guests at a 5-star resort are much less forgiving of loud kid noise (maybe they’ll call us monsters?)
- Swimming pools are about the same
- Breakfast at a 5-star hotel? Oh that’s an additional $15 / person!
So that’s why I’m not paying top dollar (or points!) for a 5-star hotel when our family travels – what about some of the rest of you that travel with kids?