Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
I’ve mentioned before that my son and I have an upcoming trip to Stockholm, Sweden. We will be there for 4 nights (a 5th night will be spend “sleeping” on a red eye to Stockholm)
(SEE ALSO: 4 tips for surviving a red eye flight in economy)
Having read good things about the Clarion Hotel Sign hotel in Stockholm, that was my first target for a hotel. Centrally located and at only 10,000 Choice points / night, it seemed like a great option. I first tried to book it several months ago, but ran into several problems
(SEE ALSO: Why can’t I book this Choice hotel?)
Try 1 – booking a backup
So with no availability at my preferred hotel, I made some backup plans.
- Nights 1 and 2 at the Courtyard Marriott Stockholm Kungsholmen for 30,000 Marriott points / night (read reviews at Trip Advisor or check prices at hotels.com)
- Night 3 at the Hilton Stockholm Slussen for 33,000 Hilton points
- Night 4 at the Quality Hotel Arlanda Airport – read reviews at Trip Advisor
I figured this would at least give me a backup plan in place
Try 2 – availability opens up so I try to buy points
Then, as time got closer and I got in the 45 to 60 day window (depending on who you talk to), availability was gone! Finally, after checking for availability every day morning and night – I found availability!
I wrote a post about how I was buying hotel points for the first time ever. This turned out to be … a lie. I got all the way through the online system only to have the system decline my purchase. I tried calling Choice customer support, they were no help and transferred me to Points.com who doesn’t even really have any phone support. Their email response took 2 days before they came back with
AKA form letter that was no help. I chatted with American Express, who told me they saw the transaction come through and they returned back that it was “authorized”. I called Choice Privileges customer support AGAIN and was on the phone with them for 20 minutes while they
- Verified all my information 100 times
- Tried to tell me I should choose “Gift Points” instead of Buy Points – did not work
- Tried to convince me not to buy points since I would not earn points on that transaction but instead book a new cash reservation. Thankfully I saw through their scam of trying to get me to book a $250 room instead of buying $110 worth of points (which should have been $99 if this would have worked during their recent points buying sale)
- Tried to give me the number to their “advanced technical team” which was just Points.com’s number (I didn’t fall for that)
- Gave me the phone number for “website support” (really?!!?)
Try 3 – moving my reservations around
Eventually I decided to cancel my night at the Quality Hotel Arlanda. So over the phone (why can I not book these on the website?!!?), I canceled that night, which gave me 20,120 points. In the meantime I had booked 2 nights with cash (flexible cancellation) at the Clarion Hotel Sign just to ensure availability, and then I used my points to book 1 2 night stay at the Clarion Hotel Sign, cancelling my original cash bookings.
With that reservation in place, I canceled my Marriott booking, getting my 60,000 points back. So that leaves me with
- Nights 1 and 2 at the Clarion Hotel Sign hotel – 20,000 Choice points
- Night 3 at the Hilton Stockholm Slussen for 33,000 Hilton points (thankfully I booked early as rooms are now up to 89,000 Hilton points / night!)
- Night 4 still TBD
I can’t seem to buy Choice hotel points though I may try to create a new account to buy them as $110 is cheaper than most of my (non-hostel) options. Or I may try a nicer hostel. I had planned for this night to be up near the Arlanda Airport as we have an early flight out the next morning.
Any hotel suggestions near Arlanda Airport in Stockholm?
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them