I’ve often said that credit card welcome offers are one way to get a lot of miles in a short amount of time. I have also often said that you should not signup for a credit card just because some guy on the Internet says that you should! One pretty good bonus that has been going on is 80,000 ThankYou points for signing up for the Citi ThankYou Premier 80000 ThankYou point offer and spending $4,000 in the first 3 months of having the card. (SEE: Top credit card offers)
Keep in mind that according to the current rules and credit card signup best practices, you will not be approved to get the bonus ThankYou points if you’ve opened or gotten a new cardmember bonus on ANY of the ThankYou cards (Citi Prestige / Citi Premier / Citi Preferred / Citi Rewards +) in the past 24 months.
Where 80,000 Citi ThankYou points can take you
Citi ThankYou points are transferrable to a wide variety of partners. Here are 5 of my favorites
- Air France, for use on their monthly promo awards and cheap flights to Hawaii
- We’re looking at transferring our points to EVA Air to fly the Hello Kitty plane out to Taiwan.
- You can get a ton of value out of Cathay Pacific’s Asia Miles program, and neither Chase nor Amex transfer there
- And of course, Singapore Airlines for either Suites Class or booking United awards to Hawaii at 40% off
- Wyndham Rewards points where I have gotten 3 cents per point value booking (at the Smoky Mountains condo pictured below)
And of course, you could use your 80,000 ThankYou points as “cash points” – good for $800 on a variety of travel and gift cards. This may not be the most optimal use of ThankYou points, but depending on your travel goals, can get you where you want to be (SEE: The folly and fallacy of using miles for economy travel)
Just don’t let me see you redeeming for THIS offer (even if you get 10% off)
3 other reasons to consider the Citi ThankYou Premier card
Here are 3 other reasons you might consider getting the Citi ThankYou Premier card
- 3X points on airfare, dining, gas, groceries, and hotels
- 1X points on all other purchases
- $100 annual hotel benefit – where you can get $100 off a single hotel stay of $500 or more
- No foreign transaction fees
- $95 annual fee
Where to get the Citi ThankYou Premier 80K offer
If you would like to support PWaC by signing up for the Citi ThankYou Premier card on our top offers page (You can find it under the “Featured cards” link / section).
If you’d like to support other sites, I would imagine most bloggers would have their own links. If you prefer your money and support go to Citibank executives and shareholders :-D, I’d imagine there are direct links on Citibank’s homepage.
Again, I repeat – please do not sign up for this card just because I (or anyone else) says so – do your own research and make your own decisions, but I think that this is a pretty good offer.
Are you planning on signing up for this Citi Premier 80K offer? Leave a note in the comments where you’re using your ThankYou points.
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
Golly, I was denied the citi thank you card. I am Shocked. I have not been rejected in decades. My mortgage is paid off. Salary is 88,000. Go figure.
Weird. Here are some of the Citi application rules that I’m aware of – did any of them trip you up?
1. Can only apply for one Citi card every 8 days
2. Can only apply for two Citi cards every 65 days
3. You can’t get the bonus on a Citi Premier card if you’ve gotten a welcome bonus on (or canceled) a Citi Rewards+®, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier® or Citi Prestige card within the past 24 months. Though I think in this case you wouldn’t have been denied – you just wouldn’t get the bonus.
It’s also possible to call the Citi reconsideration line at 800-695-5171 to see if they will approve you.
Dan, thank you for the suggestions. I’ve never owned a citi thank you in my entire life. I focus on hotel cards, that’s my joy. This was the first time I have ever applied for the citi card. My plan, as per your article was to swipe $4,000, earn the points then transfer to my Wyndham hotel reward membership. My family has stayed at the Vacasa lodges in the Pigeon Forge, TN area. Excellent value. Four of us in a one bedroom for 15,000 points per night. There was a pull out sofa bed in the rec room along with a billiards table.
Lastly, i will telephone the reconsideration line, thank you. I enjoy your articles. My husband has been to four corners in New Mexico.
Follow-up – I did telephone. I was told I have too many credit cards open, and not using enuf credit for their requirements. I do have two favorite cards I use daily. Other cards sit in the sock drawer. My FICO score is 820. I suppose I’m not their type of customer. I never, ever carry a balance into the next month. Though, that was not mentioned. Hmmmm, there are other cards out there. Thanks for your help.
Interesting – thanks for sharing your experiences. And I agree on Wyndham to Vacasa – that is one of our favorite redemptions as well. We stayed in a huge “1 bedroom” condo in Pigeon Forge last year for 13,500 points (10% discount with the Wyndham credit card) a night. It was a great deal
Hello again, follow up. Sharing the email I received from Citi as to why I was not approved.
Hi, C, Thank you for your interest in the Citi Premier® Mastercard® account. We’re unable to approve your application.
Why we made our decision
We used a scoring system in our review, which assigns a numerical value to different items on your application and on your credit report. Based on the resulting score, we’re unable to approve your application.
The main factors that contributed to this score are:
• Your credit report shows a high amount of unused credit compared to your available credit lines.
• Your credit report shows too many bank or national revolving accounts.
Important information about your credit report
Please note, our decision was based in whole or in part on information in a report from the following consumer reporting agency:
PO Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013-0036 1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742)