I’ve been invited to attend the Traveling Dad 2016 retreat which is being held at Walt Disney World in Orlando. The Traveling Dad conference organizers invited our whole family, which, when you have a family of 8, is quite the undertaking.
For whatever reason, Carolyn and I decided that we would keep the trip a surprise from the kids. Not only did we not tell them we were going to Disney World, we didn’t tell them we were going ANYWHERE. The plan was to just bring the kids together after school one day and basically say “We’re going to Disney World – we’re leaving in 20 minutes… GO!”
Keeping the surprise was…. hard
As we got closer and closer to the deadline, the stress of keeping the surprise DEFINITELY ramped up! When Carolyn went grocery shopping on Monday, there definitely were some questions about why there was more food than normal, and why she bought a bunch of things that we normally don’t buy. (They were snacks for the car / trip but we couldn’t exactly SAY that!)
I don’t know how we did it, but we managed to keep things a surprise up until the big reveal!
Some close calls!
We did have a few close calls, especially as we got closer and closer to the deadline
- One child nearly saw an email left open on the computer from a school teacher mentioning our vacation (we had to tell the school we wouldn’t be there)
- My daughter wanted to know why she and I couldn’t go to a daddy daughter dance that was scheduled that weekend. She even went as far as to talk to Carolyn and wonder if I was keeping a surprise from the family, like maybe we were MOVING!
- A child saw a glimpse of the shared family Google Calendar that said “Secret Trip”. When she asked about it, we deflected and thankfully she forgot about it 🙂
- Once we had turned our locked bedroom into “Fortress Suitcase”, there were several times when kids were confused as to why they couldn’t come in to our room.
- Only one of my daughters noticed Carolyn taking some of her clothes out of her room, and she was NOT amused
Thankfully a little extra screen time turned them all into good little zombies who for the most part didn’t notice the fact that we were sneaking enough food and clothes into our bedroom to feed a small army
Sneak peek at the reveal!
I’ll have the full reveal with a video tomorrow (if not, hopefully within a few days, so you’ll need to check back then). For now, here’s a sneak peek at the puzzle that we used for our reveal
Stay tuned tomorrow for the big video reveal!
(You should probably be following me on Pinterest)
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Some or all of the card offers that appear on the website are from advertisers and that compensation may impact on how and where card products appear on the site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners and I do not include all card companies, or all available card offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers and other offers and benefits listed on this page. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
User Generated Content Disclosure: Points With a Crew encourages constructive discussions, comments, and questions. Responses are not provided by or commissioned by any bank advertisers. These responses have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the responsibility of the bank advertiser to respond to comments.