In case you missed it, here is some of the best travel news out there from the past month:
Hotel Deals and news
- Even though Club Carlson is removing their Bonus Award night, there are a couple of promotions going around right now that make a 1 or 2 night mattress run probably worth it – find out how many points you can get from just 1 Club Carlson stay.
- Best Western is offering a promotion where you can get a $50 gift card after 2 stays – coupled with an Amex Sync offer that is going on right now, there could be some value there.
- IHG hotels have been in the news – first of all, they announced last Monday that they were making some changes to their rewards program, including points expiring and a new top tier. It was not originally clear to me whose points would expire, but there is one group of people whose points won’t EVER expire (and you might already be part of it!)
- If you missed the list of IHG hotels that changed category on May 1st, here’s the full list in a sortable table as well as a map of the IHG changes.
- IHG also announced a new summer promotion called “Share Forever” – details should be coming live later today.
- Are you angry about the recent Club Carlson devaluation? Here are 3 ways that you can fight back!
- Would you rather have 10,000 SPG points or 50,000 Hilton HHonors points?
Airline Deals and news
- There is still plenty of business class availability on Aer Lingus for the summer / fall. If you do take advantage of it, here’s how to pick your seats if you booked it with British Airways Avios
- Emirates First Class and Business Class availability is now BACK showing on the Alaska Airlines website
- The other big news of the week was that Southwest’s big devaluation finally hit. It looks like certain flights are now pricing anywhere from 70 to 80 points / dollar.
- If you need some more Southwest points now to cover your flights – you can get 10,000 Southwest points for changing your energy provider.
- $99 fares from the US to Iceland are back!
- Do you know how to put an American Airlines award on hold for free for 5 days?
- The Curious Case of Delta and CVG – a history of Delta and its one-time hub city
- 1000 free American AAdvantage miles (takes 2 minutes to do)
- There’s a new #1 city for the highest average airfare in the country.
- I was interviewed for the Couple Money Podcast about how to travel for free with kids
- Children aren’t the most annoying people on an airplane – maybe it’s you!
- Do you think it’s ever appropriate for a dad to sit up in first class while the rest of his family sits back in coach?
- A recent comment on a post made me wonder – “What’s the NICEST thing you’ve ever done for a fellow passenger?”
- There’s a new promotion from the AAdvantage shopping portal offering triple miles on online purchases that would stack with any regular portal bonuses.
- Normally I enjoy seeing credit card offers come in the mail, but here’s the credit card offer I did NOT want to see!
- Bank of America’s Alaska Airlines credit card with a $100 statement credit is now dead.
- Southwest Companion Pass? British Airways short-haul flights? Taking a look at what’s the best travel rewards deal out there.
- 6 people (plus a few more) that have walked around the world!
- What county is Dallas DFW airport in?
- One take on the best swimming spot in every state? How many have you been to?
- Did you know that there are only 2 escalators in the entire state of Wyoming? (and other travel news from around the Internet)
- Find out what I’m doing now that American and US Airways have combined their miles
- Following up with that, I find that I tend to get “analysis paralysis” when trying to book an award – always looking for the “perfect” trip.
Join the PWaC newsletter filled with credit card and travel tips
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Some or all of the card offers that appear on the website are from advertisers and that compensation may impact on how and where card products appear on the site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners and I do not include all card companies, or all available card offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers and other offers and benefits listed on this page. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them