It’s March “Mayhem” (hey I don’t want to get sued, ya know)! Since this is one of my favorite times of the year, I thought I’d celebrate by running a bracket competition so we can determine the best miles and points tool out there.
- Thursday March 17th – #1 Award Wallet vs. #16 Boingo Wifi and #6 Rome2Rio vs. #11 Check My Trip
- Friday March 18th – #8 FlyerMiler vs. #9 Seatguru and #2 Autoslash vs. #15 Osmand
- Saturday March 19th – #3 Google Flights / ITA Matrix vs. #14 Cashback Monitor and #5 Award Mapper vs. #12 Expert Flyer
- Sunday March 20th – #7 Hotel Hustle vs. #10 Flight Aware and #4 Airline Route Mapper vs. #13 The Flight Deal
and then the 2nd round games
- Thursday, March 24th – #12 Expert Flyer vs. #13 The Flight Deal
- Friday, March 25th – #3 Google Flights / ITA Matrix vs. #6 Rome2Rio
- Saturday, March 26th – #1 Award Wallet vs. #9 Seatguru
- Sunday, March 27th – #2 Autoslash vs. #10 Flight Aware
That left us with the following bracket – down to the final 4 tools! Now it’s time for the semifinals!
Here’s our schedule for the semifinals
- Thursday, March 31st – #2 Autoslash vs. #3 Google Flights / ITA Matrix
- Friday, April 1st – #1 Award Wallet vs. #13 The Flight Deal
- Sunday, April 3rd – Championship game!
On Tuesday (April 3rd) we will close voting and declare the top travel hacking tool out there!
Travel Hacking March Mayhem Semifinal #1: #2 Autoslash vs. #3 Google Flights / ITA Matrix
Our first semifinal should be a great matchup.
I’ve written before about Autoslash, which is a tool that you can use to get the best price on a rental car. They have an option that can let you book your rental car directly with them, but I have not found that to be as effective. Where the magic happens is that you can book a car anywhere online, and then enter your details into Autoslash. It’s how I got a car that Avis was renting for over $100 / DAY for just over $100 for AN ENTIRE WEEK! More recently, I had another huge success with using Autoslash to save about 50% on my car rental
Google Flights and ITA Matrix are two related tools (ITA is owned by Google) that help you determine the costs of flights as well as what airlines fly which routes (and times). I like to use Google Flights if I want to find out what times a given flight are. For instance, when I was trying to book my round the world trip, I used Google Flights to check the different first class options between the US and Asia (I ended up on Japan Airlines first class)
So which will it be? #2 Autoslash vs. #3 Google Flights / ITA Matrix? Vote below!
Join the PWaC newsletter filled with credit card and travel tips
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Some or all of the card offers that appear on the website are from advertisers and that compensation may impact on how and where card products appear on the site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners and I do not include all card companies, or all available card offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers and other offers and benefits listed on this page. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them